10.04.2011

Moving Toward Minimalism

Yes, Duane has caught the Minimalist bug! :)

Just to be clear, here is my definition of minimalism:
Minimalism means eliminating clutter and excess in both my possessions and in my schedule. It’s a way of simplifying my life and freeing up space and time, rather than filling my house and my time with things that really don’t matter to me.

My goal isn’t to own nothing; my goal is to only own things that I find beautiful and useful. As far as minimizing my schedule, having blocks of free time with nothing scheduled brings me peace and happiness that is hard to describe.

Here are my favorite book and website on minimalism--

THE JOY OF LESS by Francine Jay
(I bought the Kindle version because I don’t buy physical books any more.)
 

http://www.MissMinimalist.com also by Francine Jay
(Lots of free info and stories of other peoples’ minimalist journeys)

One of my biggest fears about deleting things from my life was, “Will I miss it when it’s gone?” Francine explains how to deal with that in her book. It goes something like this--


Some items will be easy to delete from your life and some will be easy to keep. But some items will be hard to decide on. Put those into an “undecided box”. Date the box and put it away for 6 months or so. If you haven’t missed or needed anything in the box, take it to Goodwill. Easy!

So, how much excess stuff have I deleted from my life? I’ve gone through every closet and every room in my house. I’ve sold a few things. I’ve given away about 30 boxes of stuff to my family and to the neighborhood thrift store. I’ve decluttered my filing cabinet and shredded dozens of old files. I’ve eliminated 5 boxes of kitchen stuff that I never use. Boxes of books and bookshelves are gone. I gave away most of my DVD’s, and will probably give away the rest, since I never watch the same movie twice. I know some people do, but it’s not my thing. I’ve eliminated about 30% of the stuff in my tool shed. There is no clutter in my car.

Some people think I’m crazy or I’m going through a mid-life crisis. Some people think I’m getting ready to move across the country. But honestly, I’m having a blast getting rid of things I don’t want, don’t need, and haven’t used in years. I keep asking myself, “Why was I keeping all this stuff?” LOL As my house gets lighter, I feel a sense of freedom and calm. I’m in awe of all the space I have now.


Your thoughts, ideas, and comments are always welcome.

Now go take on the day!

Peace, out.

 
Check out
Duane’s YouTube Channel

4 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as a mid life crisis!

    If you don't look back at yourself and your past with a mixture of longing and irritation, then you haven't grown as a person. That's the way I've always looked at it.

    I use the Kindle a lot too! It's portable, and I can read some of the more "eccentric" books while I'm sitting at work. Not sure my employer would appreciate some of my gun books or survival tomes.

    Your choice is commendable! Nothing need be permanant. If you decide in a few years that you want another bookshelf filled with books, then get it back! If not, leave it out.

    I think we as humans tend to over-complicate things sometimes. Life's too short to be miserable, ya know?

    As always, your posts leave me thinking. Keep it up, and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,
    Thank you for your thoughts on this. It seems we are on the same page. Yes in deed, if I change my mind about something I've given away, I can always replace it. Good points my friend.

    Peace, Duane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about the 'Mid life crisis' from Matt. I think that label is just another way to denigrate the Male!
    One thing I'm thinking about is to make a list of everything I consider essential in my bookcase, then get rid of the lot to a charity shop. I still have the list, so if I desperately want a book again I have it on my list and won't forget it.
    You could actually do this with most of your stuff...Just have a big list. Then you won't even have to think about your stuff you got rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff,
    That's a great idea. I never thought about that.
    Have a great day!
    Cheers,
    Duane

    ReplyDelete