11.17.2013

I'M A HANDYMAN!

(free clipart from Google Images)

This post is long overdue. I was out of work for about 16 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my time off but it was about time to get back to work. No prob. I landed a job doing something I enjoy doing. 

I'm a maintenance man at a large apartment complex here in Washington state. For the last 7 months, I've spent 5 days a week fixing, repairing and improving apartment homes. I have done this type of work around my own home for most of my adult life but I've never done it as a profession. I have to say, most days are a lot of fun and I do look forward to going to work. Not many people can say that about their job so I consider myself fortunate.

OK, so some of you who are currently looking for work want to know how I did it. Here's the truth--

I sent out more than 200 resumes to companies who were advertising job openings that I was either very qualified for or at least sort of qualified for (I honestly felt I could do the job with very little training). That was all a giant waste of time. 

So, how did I land my new job? NETWORKING!

I like to stay in touch with friends, family and former co-workers. When it was time to get serious about finding a job, I let everybody know I wanted to go back to work. I was ready and willing to do just about any type of job. My only requirements were a short commute and no night shifts. 

One day I was talking to a long time friend (of 30+ years). His wife manages an apartment complex and she was having trouble finding an honest, reliable maintenance man. Long story short--I got a great job and they got a great employee. Everybody wins! That's the power of NETWORKING. 

If you are looking for your next job, spend 80-90% of your time on networking. Chances are, somebody you know knows of a job that would be perfect for you.

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Now go take on the day!

Peace, out.


Check out Duane’s YouTube Channel 

No comments:

Post a Comment