12.27.2010

Mail Trolls and Phone Trolls

First, I will tell you what they are and then I will tell you how to get rid of them.

Mail Trolls are those people who send you mail that you don’t want and you have to spend time shredding it (recommended) or throwing it in the trash. You could blame it on the companies, but companies are run by people, so the people are the trolls. The junk they send you varies, but in this blog, I’m specifically talking about credit card offers.

I used to get 2-3 credit card offers in the mail every day. It is ridiculous how much time and money these trolls spend sending their junk to people. For a few months, I would take an offer from one company and stick it in the prepaid envelope from another company and mail it, and get rid of it that way. It was fun at first but I realized that was wasting even more of my time. LOL So I decided to get rid of the whole mess, once and for all. How did I do it? Read on.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you have the right to Opt-Out of this never-ending merry-go-round of junk in your mailbox. Go to this website, https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ and follow the steps to Opt-Out, either for 5 years or permanently. In a couple weeks, you will wonder, “What ever happened to all that junk I used to get in my mailbox?” :)


Phone Trolls are people you don’t know who call you and try to talk you into giving them your money. They are more annoying than mail trolls because you have to deal with them right now instead of once a day when you check your mailbox. And they can call at any time, even several times a day.

I used to play with these people for my own amusement and to entertain the people around me. When I got a call from a number I didn’t recognize, I would answer the phone in a variety of ways, including speaking fake Chinese, pretending to be really angry at the caller, insisting that the caller was actually my friend Tom trying to play a joke on me, asking the caller about his family, how does he like his job, what kind of car does he drive, etc.

You get the point--he was wasting my time so I was wasting his. But eventually I got bored with that game and decided to simplify my life by getting rid of all these calls. How did I do that? Check this out.

The Federal Government has created the National Do Not Call Registry, a free and easy way to eliminate 99% of telemarketing calls to your home phone or your cell phone, or both. Call this number from any phone you want to protect from telemarketers 1-888-382-1222. Within a month, phone trolls will no longer be a problem.

Now go take on the day!

Peace, out. 


Check out Duane’s YouTube Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment