10.13.2015

SQUARE PEGS

(borrowed from Google images)


For years, I was a square peg and didn’t even know it. I worked at jobs that made me unhappy but I had no idea why. I’ve also been in relationships that left me feeling confused and out of place.

Maybe you feel the same way about some area of your life. Here are some examples that you may be able to relate to: 

SQUARE PEG EXAMPLE #1> I worked in an accounting office for 15 years. It was a good job, it paid well, and I got respect when I told people I was an accountant. I was good at my job because I like numbers and I’m very detail oriented. But I hated being stuck behind a desk. It just wasn’t me. When I finally got the courage to leave that job, I felt like I broke out of prison. I wished I had done it a lot sooner.

SQUARE PEG EXAMPLE #2> I worked at a government lab for 7 years. It paid well, the benefits were beyond generous, and again, I got immediate respect when I told people where I worked. There were a lot of good points to this job and I was very good at it. But I hated it. It just wasn’t me, but it paid so well I would have stayed there forever. They eventually closed the lab and everybody had to go find work elsewhere. A lot of my co-workers were (and still are) upset at losing such a great job, but for me it was a huge blessing.

ROUND PEG EXAMPLE> I currently work as a janitor. I love this job. I look forward to going to work. This job fits my personality. I have freedom and I have zero stress. I'm a neat and clean person so cleaning is just something I do, I don't even have to think about it. I don't see that "look of respect or admiration" when I tell people what I do for a living, but who cares? LOL That's not important to me any more.

I used work related examples but this could apply to any area of your life- Work, relationships, the city you live in, etc. If something in your life just doesn’t feel right, maybe you are trying to force something that just doesn't fit you. It may be time to make a change. 

Now go take on the day!

Peace, out.



Check out Duane’s Youtube channel.


2 comments:

  1. Great post! :) I think one of my favorite things about getting older is caring less and less about what other people think. So many people stay in jobs or relationships that are miserable because they're afraid of what other people will think of them. I think you have the key to happiness, Duane. Just doing what makes you happy and letting other people worry about their own lives. Priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay,
      Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad my meaning came through loud and clear on this post. I wasn't sure.
      Be happy, be healthy, and be yourself. :)

      Delete